Sometimes it’s hard to keep yourself well-nourished in a normal hectic life.
It can be even more difficult when undergoing cancer treatments, as they can severely affect appetite and digestion. Mouth sores can make it difficult to chew solid foods and some spices can be irritating. Tolerance for certain tastes, smells and even textures might limit your menu options.
One thing that continues to work for me is a protein shake. I’m able to pack it full of nutrient-dense foods and it feels like a delicious indulgence. Shakes are adaptable to your palate and can be used as a meal replacement or snack.
Since it’s pumpkin season, here’s one you might enjoy. It tastes like liquid pumpkin pie!
Sprinkle a little extra pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg on the top just to make it pretty!
Add all ingredients to a Magic Bullet or blender and blend till smooth.
- 1 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree or roasted yam
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice or to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp almond or other nut butter (optional)
- 1/2 – 1 cup spinach leaves or other mild-flavored greens (optional)
- 3-4 ice cubes